Monday, December 30, 2013

The Wizard's Son - Part One

A slight breeze blew through my dark hair when I appeared in the field. I had just turned seventeen and had decided to get myself a present. I wasn’t really sure what I wanted. Maybe a new cloak or one of those fancy knives.




I pulled a hood over my head and crept into the night. I strolled through a corn field towards a small house made of stone and wood. It was only one story tall and probably only had three or four rooms within. From what I could hear they had no dogs but a horse was tied to a post next to the house. Maybe I could get myself a horse. That’d be a nice present. But horses were expensive to take care of. So, no, I wasn’t going to get a horse.


I walked past the horse and went to the side door of the house. I tried the knob. It was locked. But I could take care of that easily. Taking a deep breath I held my hand to the door knob.


“Delok,” I whispered.


The palm of my hand glowed slightly and the door squeaked open.


I stepped into the house looked around.


I was in the kitchen. A stove sat in one corner and an empty sink sat in the opposite corner.


There were cabinets next to both the sink and the stove and on the counter was a basket filled with fruit.


Grabbing an apple, I headed into the main room.


The main room had a fireplace and two comfy chairs. There was a shelf filled with assorted items next to the front door. On the other side of the door hung a bow and quiver.


I walked up to the shelf and looked at a dagger that had gems in it’s hilt. I could probably get a good price for that. Then I could buy myself something really nice and useful. I took a bite of the apple and picked up the dagger to inspect the gems.


“Drop the dagger,” a woman’s voice ordered.


I set down the dagger and slipped the apple into my pocket.


“Good, now turn around slowly,” the woman said.


I put my hands in the air and turned to face the woman.


The woman was in fact a girl, probably around my age with long golden hair. She wore a man’s tunic and trousers and in her hand was a stick, or to be more precise a staff, a magician’s staff.


“A female wizard, been awhile since I’ve seen one outside the school,” I said. “My name is Dustin.”


The girl pointed her staff at me. “What are you doing here?”


“Well, you see, I just turned seventeen today and I figured that I should get myself a present so I came by here to see what you got,” I said. “But since you don’t seem to want to part with any of your belongings I should probably try elsewhere. Good day to you and bye.” I headed towards the door.


“Stop right there, thief,” the girl said.


I halted. “I haven’t stolen anything so I am not a thief.”


“You broke into the house,” the girl said.


“Your door was unlocked and open, I didn’t break into anything,” I started for the door again.


The end of her staff glowed. “Take one more step and you’ll regret it.”


I sighed. I really didn’t want to do this but it seemed I had no choice. I turned towards the female wizard and took a deep breath.


The girl lowered her staff slightly.


“Shokom,” my hands glowed electric blue with magic power.


The girl brought up her staff to block my attack.


A bolt of magical lightning hit her in the chest.


She stumbled back into the wall but remained standing.


That was weird. That spell should’ve knocked her out.


“You’re a wizard,” she was breathing heavily and was leaning on her staff for support. I had weakened her.


“So are you,” I said. “You’re actually pretty strong for a female wizard. Most would’ve been knocked out by that.”


Her staff began to glow again.


“There’s really no need for that,” I said. “I’ll just leave you be and I wouldn’t touch any of your belongings. Have a nice evening.” I turned around to find an arrow aimed at me. I was really going to have to work on my detection skills. I should’ve heard the door open and the archer come in.


“Jenna, are you alright?” the archer asked the girl.


“Yes, daddy, I am,” the girl said.


The archer was her father. I could see the family resemblance. They both had the same blond hair and sapphire eyes.


“Hello, sir,” I said. “I was just leaving.”


“No, you’re coming with me,” the archer said.


I really didn’t want to have to use magic again but it looked like I had no choice. “I’m sorry, sir.” I held out my hand.


There was a bright light and I found myself falling into darkness.

To be continued...


Part two of The Wizard's Son:
http://beheregoaway.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-wizards-son-part-two.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have something to say? Really?