Friday, November 14, 2014

How to Write Something Funny

Have you ever wanted to write something funny but could never figure out how? Well, this post will teach you how to find your sixth sense, the sense of humor. If you already have that sense then there's no need to read the rest of this post.

What is humor? The definition of the word according to the Oxford Dictionary is: "The quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech." That definition is boring though. Humor is basically something that makes you laugh. So anything can be humorous: bugs, cheesecake, cheese, even death. Although if you think death is funny there is something seriously wrong with you. So, anything you write can be funny to someone.

How do you find a sense of humour? As I said before anything you write has the possibility of being funny so technically you already have it but you want to be funny to more than one or two people. How you gain the ultimate sense of humour you simply have to write words using the British spelling, as I have been for the past paragraph. I spelt humour with the British spelling instead of the weird American spelling so now I'm the funniest Time Lord alive, which really isn't much of an achievement since there aren't very many of us around. Plus all the other Time Lords who are still around are actually from the UK so they already spell stuff that way. Dang it.

What are some other ways to find your sense of humor? If you don't know what the British spelling of words are then you could always use sarcasm, dumb jokes, puns, and a ton hyperboles. Although despite what your English classes say hyperboles are not all that funny. Sarcasm is though. What is sarcasm? Well, it's a dangerous disease that causes your hair to turn green and makes it so you can only speak Elvish. If you don't believe me go Google Scotland's national animal. It'll answer all your questions other then the ones you have about the meaning of life. The answer to that is 42. Dumb jokes are easy. Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine. Puns are pretty easy. That picture is a great example of a pun. I already spoke on the jaw dropping effects hyperboles have so there's no need for me to talk about them anymore.

So, those are many ways you can find your sense of humor. There are more of course but I don't feel like writing an essay that's 50,000 words long. Also, don't blame me if you attempt to use my examples of humor and they don't work. Not everyone can be as hilarious as me and some people never find their sense of humor. If you're one of those people I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'd suggest you go find your imagination. That might help.

Anyways, if any of you brilliant readers wish to share some jokes and such in the comments feel free to do so. I love reading funny stuff.


Stupid examples of humor:

Oliver: Skylar is, like, the smartest person in the entire system.
Skylar: That's not true. I'm only on the top five list. 

Alexis: Hey, kid. What's up?
Jack: We're the same age so if you call me a kid your calling yourself one too.
Alexis: Last I checked I wasn't a baby goat.

Knock knock
Who's there?
Doctor
Doctor who?
*insert TARDIS noise here*

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.

“You see, that is the sad, sorry, terrible thing about sarcasm. It's really funny.” - quote from a Brandon Sanderson book

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have something to say? Really?